Tuesday, November 18, 2008

American Schools Blog

The licensure that I am seeking is like most in the class, K-6. I would love to teach 2nd or 3rd graders so I am going to focus on that age level. Teachers are there to be a role model, a nurturer of talent, and someone who is able to bring out the best in the very worst situations. Some of the teaching strategies that I will implement in my own classroom to develop responsibility are going to have to be used consistently and on an every day basis. To make my students into responsible young people I will use various strategies. In class I will assign homework and will expect that they get it done and return it the next day, children need to be prepared to be able to do at least some homework. If they do not bring their work back as told they will be disciplined whether in their grade or a reward system of some sort. I will make sure every student knows that they are responsible for their own actions by not accepting that a child has a behavior issue and “catching” the child being good and thus reinforcing the good behavior. As children get older these responsibility issues should be less of a problem, but if it still is we will sit down and write a contract and they will help sculpt their own expectations. Then by signing to these terms of behavior and responsibility the child will have to learn the worth of his or her own word.
An effective classroom for the third grade level would be one with standards and a mission set out forthright for the student and their parents or guardians. To be truly effective the parents, administration, and all teachers would all be on board. The school and my class would specialize in teaching so that every child has the chance to learn. If the entire school is working actively towards a cohesive goal then the whole school, especially the students, will benefit greatly. If my school was organized into this cohesive unit my standards wouldn’t change if I was in an urban setting. I would still expect a high level of learning, responsibility, and respect for themselves and others no matter what the situation the classroom is situated.

No comments: